Saturday, April 10, 2010

the squid and the whale


I know...

I've been meaning to watch it for years now. I so loved the director's Margot at the wedding. And if you've seen that..well, The squid and whale is for you. Its an 80's film when a literary family breaks up. Two sons both have issues with their family and how they deal with the break-up.

Jesse Eisenberg is just perfect for the part as Walt. Then there is scene stealer, Owen Kline who has some of the more disturbing parts. Yet, he does it brilliantly. I hope we see more of this kid (his parents are Kevin Kline and Phoebe Cates).

I really enjoyed how the movie evolved. Of course, if you aren't used to potty mouth vocabulary, this might not be your kind of movie. But some great performances from Jeff Daniels as the professor who can't seem to get his novel published as well as Laura Linney who is up and coming with her novel and other writings. These are the parents who spend different days with their children.

Its quite emotional..and real. Its on my list of favorite movies now.

5 comments:

  1. Love this film and Owen is definitely one to watch for.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the director and playwrights stuff in all his films.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Jesse in everything I see him in.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I Love your blog. Great post.
    xoxo,
    http:/www.onceuponafad.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll definitely have to watch this sometime, it sounds great!

    ReplyDelete

Hi, I love hearing from people.