Monday, December 26, 2016

The book group

the book group




Could we call it a group? After all, it was just the two of us. Page bowed out, right away. Evidently, neither of us were literary enough for her. You thought we were reading Jane Eyre and I'd brought a thick book of Jane Austen's works I'd found on sale from the University bookstore.

We might not have been quite right for a winter's read in the depths of January.

Still, here we were, thinking we should go to the nearest museum right away. I had no idea what to talk about. Simon smiled. I hope he knew English.

Well, it was the very reason he joined. To practice his English, but I took pity on him after the first page of Pride and Prejudice. Neither of us knew what the other was talking about.

I looked at him blankly. He looked at me, even more puzzled. We laughed. Thank God, we were on the same page.

So, we didn't really get through Pride and Prejudice.

Its true, I might be a dumb blond, after all. But Simon didn't seem to mind.

Instead, we drank tea. We wanted to brew it, but we didn't know how, so the Campus Coffee shop had to do.

And we never did make it to the museum, but we talked about it.

Yes, some day, we might actually read a book. We're thinking THE OUTSIDERS. Maybe we'll get to it, this spring.

1 comment:

Hi, I love hearing from people.