Saturday, April 29, 2023

Fan & Ollie




 "Oh, I don't know about this," I must have made a face of anguish. My stomach was already topsy-turvy. I couldn't even eat. I was spending the whole day with Ollie.

"Oh..come on, it'll be fun. A whole new way to experience New York," Onni smiled as she brought me a cup of tea. I nursed my bottom lip. "I don't know if he even likes me." "I can tell," she informed me as if she might be a fortune teller on the sly. I just laughed. Did I have to remind her he said I was the cutest little fairy he'd ever seen? I sighed and took a sip of the lemoned tea. Yes, it really hit the spot before you know who arrived. Naturally, he did his greetings like a modern-day Peter Pan. I thought he might throw in a little Broadway production, but before I knew it we were out in the fall freshness of the day. He grabbed my hand as if we might be in a race to the subway. Although, it felt as if we bounced in unison all the way like our own happy dance. "It's a full day, you know," Ollie reminded me as we got on the crowded subway to go into the interworkings of the hectic city. Even on a Saturday morning, it was thick with people and we were smashed together. Honestly, it felt horrifying. My heart was in full throttle, but he held me close as if he'd protect me. I looked up at him and could see his impish smile. "We really are a good fit you know," he told me. My eyes opened wide. What was he getting at? Of course, the library was the first on the list. It was so old yet well-kept as the books went on and on so magically. "Really, there is more to life than books sitting on a shelf." He pointed out the art exhibit nearby. Yes, another freebie, but I liked it as we strolled through the old paintings and heavenly statues on display. For a moment I felt he'd taken me to a hidden room, and it felt exciting as he held my hand and lead the way. We took in a few old bookstores nearby too. For lunch, we ended up at Central Park. He said it was the place to try so many foods. Of course, we started with hot dogs but the falafels kicked with spice. Yes, it was a beautiful day to be in my overalls and nifty sneakers because we did so much walking. Ollie surprised me, he did know the backstreets of this busy place. Yet, he knew the peaceful side too. "How long have you been here?" I wanted to know. "What?" he winced with a silly grin. "Are you doing a story on me now?" He wanted to know if was reporting back to that Sean fellow. I sat down next to him on the steps there at the park wanting to take a rest. Really, I could have fallen asleep on his shoulder in the sunshine. "Did I bring him up?" Besides, I had my phone on silent. After all, this was our day. Ollie only smiled back at me. "Um, I guess I got here when I was a youngster," he told me. "A youngster?" I couldn't help but give him a sun wink. "You really aren't that old, you know." "It feels like it sometimes," he looked to the gorgeous sky as if he'd lived a tale of some kind. Of course, he grabbed my hand as if we needed to march on to someplace else. Most of the places we went he knew the folks there, like at the costume shop and the old movie theater with the fresh popcorn. We settled down for some old Stooges films. I'd never seen them before, and I don't think I would have enjoyed them if I had seen them alone. After all, he fed me popcorn. "Would you like to come to my place?" He asked afterward. It wasn't dark yet, but it would be evening soon. Finally, I was bold and said, "Sure." Of course, he took me to yet another old theater. "I need to get ready for the magic show." "What?" was I dreaming? "Just one of my jobs," he shrugged as if he needed to get ready. He showed me where to freshen up and a place to sit in the theater. Luckily, I was full of popcorn, but someone brought me a Shirley Temple. So I waited, thinking I might take a nap. Those dramatic fuchsia curtains would not open. Just as I was about to nod off, Ollie came to my seat. "I need you," he said. "For what?" I was stumped. Of course, there was hardly a crowd. "To be my assistant, of course." I cringed at the thought, but he found something beautiful for me to wear. The flowers were so nostalgic. "It'll be fine," he insisted. "But I don't know what to do." After all, there were the caged doves. I really wasn't a bird person. "Relax." Oh, he was so gleeful. "You just need to be on stage. I'll do the rest." It wasn't until I was there in the spotlight of all those old people, I realized the doves were the least of my worries. Ollie was going to cut me in two.

7 comments:

  1. Bookstores, Central Park... a day in the city. An old theater. Reminds me of the movie montages you used to see where two people enjoy the best of the city :)

    Caged doves? Ooh have you seen desperately Seeking susan?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are the only one to notice what I was going with this.

      Delete
    2. I can't WAIT to see where this goes! One of my fave movies.

      Two of a Kind is another good one with the montage

      Delete
  2. Que escena tan tierna . Te mando un beso.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Who knew Ollie had so many surprises up his sleeve? I don't blame Fan one bit for being reluctant to be his magician's assistant. Although we all know it's fake, even the idea of being sawed in half is unsettling. I wonder what will happen next? And if Professor Dewey will throw his hat in the ring to be Fan's suitor? 😮✨

    ReplyDelete

Hi, I love hearing from people.