Monday, May 22, 2023

So It's You

 

The Chinese Version of Weight Lifting Fairy starring Derek Chang and Lou Yu Tong
When I found out Derek was in it, I had to give it a watch. Although, I love the cast from the Korean drama...I will confess I understand the story much better in Chinese. Instead of weight lifting the FL does Judo while he's a down-and-out swimmer who should be winning races but he's got some trauma to deal with. 

Naturally, Derek is the playful animated sort and there are possible moments he can be just a little arrogant. Also, the issue of her weight comes up which there is no reason to. But the story follows the original story pretty well [Actually, I liked the supporting cast more in the original story]. Perhaps, it's more enjoyable because the episodes are shorter. Thus, I feel the writing is more concise than in the original drama, but I like both dramas. Yet, it's fun to see this one and all the troubles they find and some sweet moments too.

I think this drama was made in the middle of the pandemic, yet sometimes, it feels it was made before the pandemic because Derek is so youthful in this drama. But I will admit I like his Tawain dramas best. Tawain has a great way of storytelling and dramas full of surprises. Yet, to be a Tawain actor you usually have to make it in China if you want to be known.

3 comments:

  1. I would love to explore the differences between Taiwanese and Chinese dramas. Or even between Chinese and other Asian media like S. Korea or Japan. I started Midnight Diner on Netflix and understand there's a Shanghai version as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Conheço muito pouco deste mundo de dramas orientais.
    Um abraço e boa semana! :) 😘

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad you enjoyed this! It's always a nice surprise when a new version of something you love delivers.😀💖📺

    ReplyDelete

Hi, I love hearing from people.