Sunday, June 9, 2024

End Notes - Sword & Fairy 1




 It's been 25 years since the original production of this drama which is based on The Legend of Sword and Fairy, but I feel it must run more deep than this as a traditional Chinese tale. This was really a fabulous production with a top notch cast. Even so, some might find it too cheesy, or just to young to be only thinking of the video game. The drama does give a lot to ponder about life, Chinese history and the lessons in life. Of course, it is a journey. While the  male lead is an ordinary boy whose parents set of on their own adventures of Martial Arts while he stayed with his Aunt at the inn, and he meets the fairy who tells him they have met before, but of course, we don't find out how until near the end. 

Toss in the very busy and loud heroine he battles in a wedding match. He wins. Her father is elated, but this savage girl does not marry, even if she is smitten with him. On the other hand, the scholar loves everything about her, but she never notices. So they set out as friends. Little do they know they will meet a witch and her guard who accidentally tamper with the dead and zombies are truly rampant. And that's just the beginning.

Some parts there was the feel of the 'video game' with certain elders they meet along the way, but who knew butterflies could be demons. And still, there is time for those to be apart, and to still have growth.

If only I could have found a picture of at the end in the field of wheat on the plains, like heaven. Evidently. So yes, there is sadness. But one can tell our hero learned a lot along the way. We see him in the snow, carrying someone. Naturally, it made me think of another Wuxia story. Maybe, my own.

4 comments:

  1. Sounds really great.
    Always love to read whats around here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm you have me really intrigued by this. I can tell you really enjoyed it. Maybe I should give it a shot...

    I'm hoping to include some pics of thr bar/ coffee shop I found and the band. I took some video on my phone... hope the usic festival went well. And thanks for the heads up on Cherry Blossoms...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Uy medio ganas de ver el dorama Te mando un beso.

    ReplyDelete

Hi, I love hearing from people.