Saturday, July 1, 2023

Hello July💙❤️


 I was thinking back on one of my favorite Fourths. I was probably a Freshman in high school and went to the park with my Aunt. I had never seen such a mega potluck in my life. Back then, no one thought too much about homemade food. And there were tables and tables of food. 

There were also games. Couples games. Of course, I was certain I would not be in any of those games. Besides, I was a people watcher. But then somebody who I used to Know showed up. Actually, I hadn't seen Smed in years. He didn't live with his grandmother anymore. He had moved back to Dallas with his mom's new family. I only knew him by those luscious curls and of course, he was only in sixth grade and taller than me. 

Of course, I wasn't so sure about the games we would be playing. But I think it was because he was such a sweet talker I went along with it. Naturally, everyone thought we were the same age. I have to admit we were in sync that night and it was fun with a lot of laughter even if we didn't win anything. Oh, if only he'd been older. Even then I knew he'd been through a lot with his Mom. Even so, I'm glad we had that moment together. His infectious smile and being so at ease. Yeah, I didn't know it then, but he was perfect boyfriend material. If only he'd been older.

There is that Fourth that wasn't all that long ago that I set the flowerbed on fire. Yes, somebody handed me a lit Roman Candle in the driveway and a car was passing by and I turned away just in time and the sparks all landed on the flowers that I am pretty sure I didn't grow. The day after the Fourth two little boys came up to the circ counter, giggling. Finally one said to me, "You're that lady who set her flowerbed on fire." They were visiting the family across the street.



5 comments:

  1. That's funny! You never know with sparklers...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Uy me hiciste reir. Gracias por la receta. Te mando un beso.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely Fourth of July memory about the potluck in the park with your aunt. And, of course, Smed. That's so wonderful that he walked back into your life just in time for those couples games. Even if he was a sixth grader to your freshman. I love the part about his infectious smile and being so at ease, despite his troubles with his mom. Of course, you setting someone's flowers on fire with a Roman candle is pretty memorable too. That's hilarious how those kids commented on it the next day. You never know what America's birthday will bring! 🍔💖🌳🌭🎆🍰🌹💐🔥

    ReplyDelete

Hi, I love hearing from people.