Tuesday, August 8, 2023

Shacked Up!

Shacked Up is an extremely well written contemporary novel by Kate Cann. Cann uses universal literary techniques such as detailed characterization and unique diction. In addition, a strong plot and picture-perfect imagery make this an enjoyable book to read.

The characterization becomes apparent in the first few pages of the story. Immediately the reader knows how Bonny feels, and that it is because of her crazy mother, Tigger. Also, as a reader I knew exactly how Rich felt every single second throughout the book.

The great thing about the vocabulary is the British words thrown in. This story does take place in London, or somewhere near, so an England dialect makes for a unique reading experience.


 It was a surprise to find it! A true gem to find on its way to Salvation Army from our Library Bookstore as I was leaving out the backdoor from work one Wednesday night not so long ago. Evidently, nobody knows Kate Cann like I do. Of course, dystopia has taken over YA now..so what was written before about teen angst and trying to get away with it just isn't a thing anymore. But some of us beg to differ and I'm one of the few.

From (actually, it might have been written in 2001 as part of the Hard Cash series) 2006, it was part of this British author's trilogy about artsy Rich on the outs with his Dad and is staying with a friend who is banking on his art. In HARD CASH he'd met poor little rich girl Portia who in the end played him like a fool and he said NO when she wanted to shag in the elevator.

Well, of course, I wanted to know if Rich and Portia got back together, although, she was a little too GOSSIP GIRL for my blood. [Honestly, I wish Cann could have come up with a better name for him, like Jake or Drew..even Gregg]. And I was so happy that they didn't!

In Shacked Up! He ends up with Bonny, a fan girl of his art and someone he can confide in and she talks about her troubles with her mother. OK, so there is a bit of drama, and people trying to help them out who hopefully are trustworthy...even if they are hiding out and maybe ..kind of sort of making a living. ..with hoodlums right around the corner.

I love Cann's dialogue best. And at times, she can be so bitter with the female leads, but it was fun to catch up. I dunno if she ever got SPEEDING published (I think so but probably a bugger to find!). At one time, I thought about buying this paperback, but it was expensive as an import from England on Amazon. [Side note..about Amazon..Recently our library got the latest HandMaids series and it was for region 2 instead of one. Luckily..I did not open it which I was supposed to catalogue it. We still have it, It would cost $143 bucks to mail it of to UK Amazon which we didn't know where it was coming from when we got it.]

6 comments:

  1. I like that it's set in London. Nice to read other places. And it's always nice too when as a reader you can relate to a character constantly!

    I'm glad you were able to find this, and your thoughts on teen angst... yes, I mean being a teen is the definition of angst, right, so we need these! Looks good...

    I hope you don't mind me using Rachel in my story, after I saw your comment I realized I was using the same name as your rachel and Huck story. Yikes! Plus I know a blogger named Rachel too. It was totally unintentional!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh good. I was worried about using a same name. :) Funny thing is I wrote these a while ago- I've got like up to ch. 48 already written going backa few months. Now I need to get writing! I used a Joy too once as a character and then had a Joy commenting!

      Can't wait to see tomorrow's post :)

      Delete
    2. Thanks for your making my day..Hope you keep writing and all the best to your blog๐Ÿ’—

      Delete
  2. Gracias por la reseรฑa. Tomรณ nota te mando un beso. https://enamoradadelasletras.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with you when it comes to dystopian teen stories -- enough already! Good old-fashioned angst and romance are so much more compelling. I'm so glad you found this Kat Cann gem in the donation pile -- clearly, it was meant to be! ๐Ÿ’–๐Ÿ“•๐Ÿ’–๐Ÿ“•๐Ÿ’–๐Ÿ“•

    ReplyDelete

Hi, I love hearing from people.