Wednesday, June 26, 2024

Stacy & Owen




 "God Damn you, Owen!" Stacey screeches once they get back to the truck. It won't be long til daylight and her stomach is hungry. She knows they have less that forty bucks. 

"What?" His dark eyes wince and for the first time she thinks Wylie Coyote might be his spirit animal.

"You'll be the death of me," she looks him in the eye as if it should be over. Completely. But she knows it won't be. She crawls up into the truck while he's waiting with the engine cranked, ready to go. 

Her legs feel weak. The heat is making her feel nasty. Just as she gets settled into the seat with the seatbelt clicked. "I gotta go pee."

"Are you shitt'n me?" Owen's eyes narrow. He's headed for the interstate. No doubt about it, they are leaving the country this time. Hell or high water. She knows that look. Stacy sighs. She remembers when she thought he was so cool. The things he could do to cars with his bare hands in that tiny gray jumpsuit of his. He even got her granny's car running for a little while so Stace could get down to the Thrift store.

"Stop," she insists, as her gut can't take it no more. "I think I need to poop."

Owen cracks up as his lips curve on the ends. He just keeps going, and with every bump they hit Stacy knows it might be the end of someone's precious life. They pass exits for gas stations, hotels, motels, even a rest stop, but her Owen is determined.

"Some father, you'll be," Stacy snaps, giving him a go-to-hell look.

"You wouldn't leave me," Owen's lips barely move. "You know you wouldn't."

It troubles her. She can't recall the last time he called her BABE. She has to think on this for a good long while. She sighs. She guessed he called her Babe back at Walmart. But she's still in a pout.

"Snake, You pull over right now!" She's got a new pet name for her boy. No more Honey, Love. Just Snake. She demands as her long arms have already undone the seat belt and the beep irritates Owen.

She feels herself practically coming undone. And to think he was going to be her Mick Jagger, and she was so excited thinking she was having Mick Jagger's baby. "You know I'm much more Harry Styles than Mick Jagger," he'd said then when she accidentally confided this when they first found out about the baby, but of course, they had a spat about that too. "You're no Harry Styles!" she'd told him then. Of course, she couldn't get that AS IT WAS song out of her head. Even now.

Finally, he eases over to the shoulder of the highway. She cracks open the door and asks for the toilet paper. Owen starts to act like she has to get it herself from the back seat, but finally, he gives in, seeing she means business about number two.

She heads for the tall grass and her gazelle limbs squat like she might be a squaw from another time as the sun rises. Stacy squints hard, praying she won't have the baby here in the prickly grass that's jabbing her tender butt. It feels quite ridiculous, but she thinks of all those women who came before her. They had nothing either. Yet, she doesn't like baring herself to nature this way. Finally, she lets go of what's been boiling inside her to happen. A brilliant idea comes to her. They need jobs. They need to find jobs as soon as possible.

She sighs, oh how she loves Owen, but she's feeling hate. She doesn't want that to happen because he's all she has. Stacy nurses her bottom lip. She's never gone on the side of road to relieve herself. Yes, she guesses she had a sheltered life after all.

10 comments:

  1. Hi ^ ^
    Other great chapter, like always
    I hope you have a nice day
    Kisses ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes love and hate g hand in hand?

    Yes it's me commenting! Clearly I have catching up to do! I hope you are well!! Miss you. We had storms too over the weekend. Thank you for the Fathers day comments. Glad you had a nice dinner at Olive Garden. And thank you for the kind comments. How is the RP going? I feel like we need to catch up!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, it is great to hear from you. Yes, the river keeps rising here. And last month there was an apartment basement that got flooded..so I was inspired (✿◡‿◡)

      Delete
    2. Oh my! I didn't see that coming. when he woke up and he was flooded I was like... gahhh!!!!

      Delete
    3. Oh I just read your comment! Mean comments... yikes! I never understand those. I had someone go off on me because I commented on a book she linked to- it was a wrap up post and the book jumped out at me because I've read it, but she told me to kindly only comment on CURRENT posts. Um, then why are you linking to it????

      Needless to say I won't be bothering anymore!

      That's funny about the RP. I've heard of Rping sites like that. I've looked at some. I've met a few people on various sites and had no idea tha tworld was really out there. I'm sorry to hear about the writers group... unless you're glad! Sometimes its better to let certain things go...

      I'm behind and I remember before my break that you were hinting at Boone and Maddie. Then I went on an unplanned hiatus again and missed Rafe coming in... I should catch up!

      Delete
    4. Not gonna Lie, my favorite scene in Parasite is the flash flood scene of the family living in the basement. It was such a rush. And I think how epic these storms are now. A few years back some young man who lived in some apartments nearby was swept away during the night at the apartment parking lot. He got sucked into a curent of the manmade creek. They didn't find him until days later. It was too late. Oh..the mean girl..She commented on the Tristan and Liv post..she rewrote the conversation which made no sense..naturally I replied - Maybe you should write fiction, just not this one. But later I deleted it. And won't be going back to her blog.
      As in RPing..I think I've stumped this one already...but we'll see. He was a little shocked that I would write about characters he'd already written about ..and ours might mean a bale, but part of the fun is being inspired to go on with the story, and just see it through. I will post my part of the 'BookStore" tomorrow on Ivy.

      Delete
    5. Ooh can't wait. I might even do a post tomorrow! We've had quite the storms too. They woke me up the other night.

      RPing I'm learning is very funny. I'm starting to wonder what I've gotten myself into. Some people you click with, and others...

      Delete
    6. True some you can work with. You do have to click. It's a lot like a dance, and it takes a while to get a feel of your partner. It has definitely been a fail with this one girl on that site that we both have chatted with. Her problem is she needs to write. Although, it's the same old story. I find her dialogue just a bit sleezy. And all she wants to know..how do you like it. Never appreciative. But I don't see that in Ben.
      Other than that I have a new post on Cherry Blossoms tomorrow. All the best to your storylines and characters. Keep Writing!

      Delete
  3. Genial fragmento del amor al odio hay un paso.

    ReplyDelete

Hi, I love hearing from people.