Wednesday, December 11, 2013

C.O.G.




I can't think of anyone else who could have made this film amazing but Jonathan Groff. True, its a subtle film about the realities of life. The film really reflected David Sedaris' voice that the essay the screenplay was written for.

  • Stranger:The bible says...
  • Samuel:I know what the bible says.
  • Stranger:Well then, what's your problem with it?
  • Samuel:It's poorly written.

Perhaps we don't know everything their is to know about about David's character, but we know enough. We know he's striking out on his own, away from parents who disapprove. Still, he is an individual who pain painstakingly puts up with a lot.

We see he is out of his element and doing his best to be part of the apple picking process in Oregon, where he works among migrant works. Somehow he survives the season and ends up at yet another apple place where the apples go through even more picking.

But things change once he meets Curly (Cory Stoll), David aka Samuel thinks he's found a friend where he works. Oh, the surreal moment arrives and some how Sam escapes to find that the only refuge in town is with C.O.G.

I seriously enjoyed Groff's performance. It is a sad story, and yet an individual has to find his own faith. Or to think fast to get out of sticky situations.

I wished Troian Bellisario as Jennifer his college friend could have been in the film more. You can see how he feels he is there for her, but in all reality she might have been the one who had saved him far too long at college.

Its a good story to embrace. And shows how tolerance can suddenly become intolerance. There is a certain heart felt presences that I hope all can see when they watch it. So poignant. But I have a feeling many will miss it.

STORYLINE: A cocky young man travels to Oregon to work on an apple farm. Out of his element, he finds his lifestyle and notions being picked apart by everyone who crosses his path.

He was bleeding out all over me… There’s nothing we can do for him… and so I asked him, you know, “Do you have any last requests?” and he looked me right in the eye and he asked me if I could hold him… I had both of my legs then and I used them to kick the shit out of him. There are a lot of sick people in this world, Sam, and you’ve gotta watch out for them… You’re that way too, aren’t you? You’re sick like that man, aren’t you?


3 comments:

Hi, I love hearing from people.