Sunday, August 14, 2022

Sunday tidbits

 


THE CEMETARY CAKE: I made this for my birthday. It has no eggs and a lot of flour. Yes, I like eating things from a historical point of view. Not quite as tragic at the Mock Apple Pie I made at Thanksgiving one year when we had our Laura Ingalls Wilder Thanksgiving. Needless to say, no one seems to like green tomatoes in their pie. But the cake, as she said does have a distinct flavor. It made me wonder if I had enough sugar in it. It calls for two cups! Next time I will try the Chocolate Frosting. Mine was very old-fashioned, I went for peanutbutter frosting which was different. 


Oh, this month is just flying by. School has started. Yet, these days when is it not in session? I did see our all-start soccer player at the computer in the library. Usually, he's always on his bicycle. Still, he looks like he dresses for a soccer game anywhere he goes. And of course, such Fabio hair! Yeah, my highlight of the week in spite of having a birthday.

We did get to lunch at Olive Garden. Although, I have to wonder if those breadsticks were just a bit microwaved and only 3 for two people. I dunno where that extra ten-buck charge came from. Truly, these days there is always something extra to pay. Thankfully, it was only the lunch menu. Then later after strolling around our so-called mall which was hatched from a cornfield (Where ever you go, any time of year the wind is just gonna hit you making you feel you didn't have a fighting chance to look as fetching as if you thought you would) we went to Culver's for a might banana split that just about did us in.  It wasn't until yesterday that I made myself the mega margarita which is definitely plenty for the weekend. Yes, gotta celebrate the whole week or even the whole month! We are going out with family today at our favorite Mexican Food Place.

  • A maneki-neko The maneki-neko (Japanese: 招き猫, literally "beckoning cat") is a common Japanese figurine (lucky charm, talisman) which is often believed to bring good luck to the owner.



I did get some beautiful roses from some co-workers at work. Another gave me some library shirts which are OK to wear. One is a bright orange tye-dye with a squirrel on it. Friends of the Library in Council Bluffs! And a got a mystery gift of a Fortune Cat (with a waving arm). No one will tell me who gave me this. But it's really cute.

5 comments:

  1. Feliz cumple de nuevo. Me parece tan rico ese pastel y me alegro que hayas pasado tan bien. Me gusta el gatito neko. Te mando un beso.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This cake looks very good, I will test the recipe later. I love any kind of good luck charm, this one for a cat is really cute.
    xo
    https://www.dearlytay.com.br/

    ReplyDelete
  3. So much good stuff in this post! My favorite phrase in it is: "Then later after strolling around our so-called mall which was hatched from a cornfield". I just picture a food court rising up from the corn! And the cemetery cake! I knew you were making an old-school, rationed recipe, but that name just makes it all seem even more literary. I bet you could build a whole story around it! I'm glad you got to enjoy lots of birthday treats (although bummer about those breadsticks). Your mystery gift is indeed adorable! 😻

    ReplyDelete

Hi, I love hearing from people.