Monday, July 10, 2023

Almost a True Story


 

A part of me kept thinking of that summer song CRUEL SUMMER. Most of my friends left the Uni at the fourth to be with family, but not me. So yeah, I was all on my own. Not expecting to see anyone I knew. After all, I had my trusty green bikini. I never really liked the color and well, I was only going to the pool to swim some laps, and maybe just chill. I didn't even have a summer read on hand.

Oh, and I was going to try that baby oil trick my cousin always told me about. She said that's the way she got those sunny freckles.

So there I was dripping in oil looking my worst and thinking how good it was that no one was around on this nice sunny day. Yes, I could be somebody else if I wanted to, of course, I didn't have the energy to do that. I would just bask in the sun with my shades and try my best to have the confidence of a new Madonna. Of course, the old one was in bed these days brought back to life or so they said on the internet.

I sighed. Stop trying to be a downer. Everything is fine. Swim a few more laps and then get yourself a milk tea on the way home.

WRONG.

"Hey stranger, watcha doing?" The voice didn't sound that familiar. I didn't even look.

"Hey, you over there, come here!" This guy's voice shouted from behind the fence.

I gritted a smile and looked back to see blond Noah. The guy from Bio that my roommate had her eye on. She was as giddy as could be around him and I would have never met him if it hadn't been for her. Of course, we were just freshmen waiting around in the lunch line at the cafeteria. Noah was older and I knew, way out of my league.

Finally, I got up and slipped into my shower shoes, and walked over with my towel wrapped around me. If only I could have hidden in my towel.

"You should have told me you were here," Noah smiled. "I would have loved to go swimming.

"I..I guess I thought you went home too." I nodded hiding behind my shades.

"Want to get a burger with me? We could go to that place with the live music and listen to my roommate sing." He kept grinning. 

I so wanted to know what he was on. Did he even know my name?

I bit my bottom lip before I could laugh. Was he for real?

"Come on," He shrugged as if he'd wait for me at the entrance.

How could I say no? This was like winning the lottery. Possibly.

"OK." I nodded and went to get my stuff. What would my roommate think? I debated if I should tell her or not. But I went on toward the exit. Maybe he wouldn't even be there. Was I in a daydream?

"Crystal, do you know how long I've been waiting for this?" His arms were open,  he didn't mind at all getting baby oil all over his shirt.

"How long?" I could barely say. After all, I was not Crystal, but I could be for the night.

5 comments:

  1. How much can happen when you pretend to be someone else. I hope she doesn't get into too much trouble.
    X
    https://www.dearlytay.com.br/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow that last line!

    See you just never know when something's going to happen! :)

    Nice Madonna reference. I remember her with the shades in Desperately Seeking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, this is a juicy one! Just when you think an oil-slicked dip in the pool is all solitude and Madonna musings . . . over walks your bestie's crush. Noah seems like trouble, and yet I get why not-Crystal falls for him. As always, the last lines are killer:

    "Crystal, do you know how long I've been waiting for this?" His arms were open, he didn't mind at all getting baby oil all over his shirt.

    "How long?" I could barely say. After all, I was not Crystal, but I could be for the night.

    By the way, I hope the groundbreaking for the new library (finally) went off without a hitch! 🌊📚🩱💚

    ReplyDelete
  4. Uy a veces uno debe atreverse aunque sea por una noche. Te mando un beso https://enamoradadelasletras.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Hi, I love hearing from people.