Saturday, August 12, 2023

Blue Hearts

 

I carry a torch for this crackship. Of course, I don't think we will ever see these two actors in anything together. The time I started this story there were some issues at work..and well, of course, it became a bit of a library story after awhile, but it didn't start that way (2008).


 The fried egg was sticking to the pan. What else could go wrong? Bex kept staring at it. The egg sizzled in bits. It was ruined. She started to cry.

"We could have gone out for breakfast, you know?" Oliver almost burned himself on the pan but he got rid of the attempt for breakfast.

"No, I want to be here when he gets here," Bex shrugged.

"Has he done this before?" This was Dayton they were talking about. Once he got into a video game, you'd lost him for good, but didn't Bex know that already.

"I'm really starting to hate him," Bex croaked biting her bottom lip. "What was I expecting? You know, I should have just said to hell with it. Why did I beg him? Huh? This shit isn't going to stop is it?"

"Just take it easy, he'll be home, but later. Like by noon or afterward. You'll see." Of course, he'd said the same thing before midnight and even at three in the morning before they both dozed off in front of the TV.

"You keep saying that-" He gave her a paper towel for her tears.

"We'll have coffee. And break out the granola your Mom sent. It'll be OK." Bex shrugged and went to the table that she and Oliver had to find at the flea market. Dayton wouldn't even help with finding stuff for the house.

"You can make rent this time around?" Oliver then wondered if this was really all about Dayton. Maybe this was a bit more stressful than he'd thought. "Has Dayton paid his half?"

Bex nodded. "We're fine."

"OK." He knew they really weren't. "Maybe once classes start up-"

"Right-" Bex took a sip of her coffee then. "God, you should really go. I'm going to be OK."

"But I can stay."

"No," Bex nodded. "You've done more than enough. " She kept her smile even. "You have things to do. And maybe I need to be here alone whenever Day gets here. I think I should be alone."

"You sure?"

"Yes." Bex gritted. "I really need to be alone right now. I have to get used to being alone."

"Right," Oliver tried to smile. He drank his coffee then. Really, he had nowhere to go. He wanted to be right here. Maybe if he was lucky Dayton would never come home.


Oliver walked away. He hadn't had a cigarette all night which was a first. He never felt like smoking around Bex. Not many people had that sort of charm on him. Maybe if she were around more, he'd quit altogether. But within the block, he was lighting up on his walk home. Wondering what it would be like if by some chance.....

Forget it. He had to forget. It wasn't possible. She was pretty much a goner when it came to Dayton. True she did her best not to talk about him much when Oliver was around. But she'd been with him since high school. Two years even. Ouch.

Didn't she know this side of Dayton by now? Was she waiting for him to grow up?

Oliver smiled. "Not gonna happen," he said to himself. He reached for his cell then.

 Oliver knew pretty much what to do next. Call Nelson. Get the weed and maybe find his little hideout at the lake and stay to himself. Oh, he liked this side of himself. The side he kept perfectly hidden for the most part. Not that anybody would much care. But this was what he did when he wasn't at work. Wasn't talking to Bex or at home with his sister.

But first. He pushed his fingers down in the pocket of his jeans. He could feel the sheen of her undies pushed away in his pocket. Next time her bra. For real. Yeah, he wanted a matched set.

5 comments:

  1. Oh my. Oliver is naughty! Yikes. Not sure what to make of THAT lol... and he seemed so nice too ha ha/ You just never know. I feel for Bex though...

    Wow this goes back to 2008? And FANTA

    DJ's Dugout sounds pretty good! Yes the World Cup is so exciting, seeing the AUS and NZ sights. What little they show. I get caught up in all the drama.

    It's been cooler here. 78 now. My neighbor pointed out a ground bee nest he saw in our back yard as he was looking for his cat. Nasty. Good thing or I might have got stung up cutting the lawn. Anywho... thank you for your comments.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If only Bex knew...what would she think?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whoa, this is wild! The whole time I was thinking that Dayton was the problem, but those last lines make me think maybe it's Oliver. Way to deliver a terrific twist! 🤔👙

    ReplyDelete

Hi, I love hearing from people.