Tuesday, August 15, 2023

End Notes on THE SPARE ROOM

 



The first part is quite a slow burn. I'm not sure I really got the feel of the pandemic, as by the panic I felt when I was in the midst of it. I felt the novel missed that unsettling feeling. A lot. 

Oh, and I haven't thought of a threesome since my friend from PA told me about what her friend and husband wanted from her. And she might have been drunk and high too and still had the gumption to say, "NO WAY."

Sure our FL might not be the smartest tool in the shed. And yes, with job troubles, a boyfriend who won't commit. It really did have a quirkiness going for it. But it took a while for this thriller to get going. And yeah, it did have its funny moments. Although, I just think I would have been a little more perceptive of my surroundings. And yeah, I think I could have made the story a bit more haunting as she gets in tight with this old friend from high school and her husband, that oh-so-successful man of hers.

Yet, I felt a little lost. I didn't feel the love. Still, our Bartz has the prose. If that's what you are going for, it has it in the beginning. But dialogue..hmmm...

Of course, I guess if I had been writing it..it would have turned out more of a horror story instead.

In spite of trying to make a threesome sound so cool and maybe we should all try it. Well, it left a bad taste in my mouth. Seriously, I don't think much good could come of such a trist, unless it was a war story, demonic times, or just a weekend in Paris. After all, the sex wasn't all that.

Although, there are twists and turns near the end. Yet, I might have liked it better if she'd hooked up with that so-called new friend she'd met on a walk while staying with those expensive friends. Naturally, I found myself wanting to shout at the book, "GET A JOB!"

4 comments:

  1. The pandemic was something, wasn't it? Looking back... so much panic and uncertainty. We didn't know what this thing was...

    "a weekend in Paris" lol. That makes everything better, right? :) But I get what you're saying. Ha I love your last line too. Sounds like an iffy premise but has its moments.

    Thanks for your comment! Is it hot out there today? It's 71 here, apparently. Although the mugginess feels like it's warmer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Parece interessante.
    Eu tenho muito que ler!
    Vi em um post anterior que vc fez aniversário!
    Parabéns e tudo de bom!
    Ane
    A Lua e Eu

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's funny how you sometimes finish a book and think, well, there was good stuff and bad stuff, but what's the overall takeaway? Sometimes I have a hard time deciding! Still, it sounds like despite the good parts, this one just wasn't a winner. C'est la vie! 🤔📘🤔📘

    ReplyDelete

Hi, I love hearing from people.