Saturday, November 18, 2023

Sour Dough Starter



Finally, I got the sourdough starter that a co-worker had promised well over a year ago. Apparently, this starter dates back to the Oregan Trail that she and her wife have been using since they got together. Her wife's sister was the one who gave it to them back in California.

Still, I am not quite sure what to do with it. Yes, I have started feeding it once a week. I attempted waffles, but they came out more like biscuits so I took the rest of it and baked it like bread which turned out rather OK.  On one hand, it is rather forgiving. According to another co-worker, she doesn't feed hers all the time and it just hibernates in the fridge. 

Still, I am not the most successful breadmaker. Cornbread seems to be my forte. And yes, I have baked it in the Waffle Maker before to go with beans and that turned out really well.

Yes, as Thanksgiving approaches...I tend to pull out the JELLO puddings for cream pies because that's what some are expecting. And I will probably go for those rolls that are on sale. No way am I going to fuss over homemade bread.

5 comments:

  1. Good luck with the starter! -Christine cmlk79.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah Thanksgiving is way too hectic without handmaking EVERYTHING. I honestly didn't even know this was a thing. I just watched the video. I love how people talk about it like it's an alive thing. :) Feeding it, etc. :):)

    Cornbread yummy.

    I love those old vintage covers as prompts for story ideas! And thanks for your comments! I love the long ones :):)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Parece una buena receta. A mi me gusta hacer pan de maíz. Siempre es bueno cocinar con lo que te sientas cómoda. Te mando un beso.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like a good recipe. I like to make cornbread. It's always good to cook with what you're comfortable with. I send you a kiss.🍁🍁🍁🍁Most definitely. Here in the states..expecially, in the south cornbread stuffing (dressing as they say) is a must for Thanksgiving.

      Delete
  4. Oh, I give you major credit for this! I can't imagine trying to make my own bread, much less from a starter. On the other hand, your cornbread and pudding pies sound delicious. Simple comfort food is always a crowd pleaser! 🌽🍞🍫🥧

    ReplyDelete

Hi, I love hearing from people.