Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Fiction Tuesday - Carrie Vaughn's Kitty Norville series



Kitty Norville is the main character of a series of novels by Carrie Vaughn. She is a werewolf who hosts a popular syndicated radio phone-in show based in Denver called "The Midnight Hour". The program focuses on supernatural issues -wikipedia
I think Elisha Cuthbert would make an excellent Kitty Norville.

“To be a DJ was to be God. To be a DJ at an alternative public radio station ? That was being God with a mission. It was thinking you were the first person to discover The Clash and you had to spread the word.”
Kitty and the Midnight Hour. (Carrie Vaughn)



I’m best known for writing about werewolves. I started writing about werewolves—made the main character of my series a werewolf—because I was far more interested in them than the other usual supernatural critters. They simply hadn’t had a lot of attention paid to them in supernatural fiction, and when I was starting out, few people were writing books that featured werewolves as main characters. Plenty of people were writing about vampires; I didn’t feel a need to throw my hat into that ring. I didn’t have anything to say about vampires that hadn’t already been said. They were, in a word, kinda boring-Carrie Vaughn


Remember, it’s not paranoia if they really are out to get you.
Kitty Norville (Kitty Goes to Washington)


I always tell people that like True Blood/Sookie Stackhouse that her Kitty Norville series is like that but better because I’m on book 10 and it still doesn’t feel tired.  There’s no crazy sex scenes, the romance is kind of the back story to these excellent mysteries.  But yeah, supernatural mysteries with an inquisitive blonde at the heart of them.  So good.- I eat Literature for Breakfast


I’m a werewolf trapped in a human body."
“Well, yeah, that’s kind of the definition."
“No, really. I’m trapped."
“Oh? When was the last time you shape-shifted?"
“That’s just it - I’ve never shape-shifted."
“So you’re not really a werewolf."
“Not yet. But I was meant to be one, I just know it. How do I get a werewolf to attack me?"
“Stand in the middle of a forest under a full moon with a raw steak tied to your face, holding a sign that says, ‘Eat me; I’m stupid’?
— 
~Kitty Norville.  Kitty and the Midnight Hour.

Vaughn has tightly plotted each novel, so much so that you can probably pick up midway through the series and enjoy. Plots include an escaped djinn setting things on fire, faux Babylonian sacrifices in Las Vegas, a reality tv show set in a remote mountain lodge with a bunch of paranormals, and a government inquiry into the existence of ‘Others’ with Kitty as a star witness. And one more thing to recommend the series - there is a real sense of humour about the world and Kitty’s situation. Which you would expect from title - a werewolf named Kitty indeed!-UN

What's your favorite book series?

tumblr

4 comments:

  1. Elisha Cuthbert is gorgeous. This series sounds awesome!

    My favorite book series is Harry Potter. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. The author is so good at what she does.

    ReplyDelete
  3. looks good!
    xo
    MOSAMUSE

    www.MOSAMUSE.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. looks good!
    xo
    MOSAMUSE

    www.MOSAMUSE.com

    ReplyDelete

Hi, I love hearing from people.