Monday, July 24, 2023

Living it a Barbie World

 



Oh, the movie has its qualms. Truly, a darker film than I imagined. Maybe, I'm like Greta's mom. Or just too old to enjoy the raucous of this film produced by Mattel. Of course, they will make a mint in pink merchandise. 

First I would advise, you not to take your kids to see it. Although, many can't wait to see it. So be prepared for some darker conversations, afterward. Along with that, what was wrong with that mom and daughter in the film? Although, I went with someone who proudly brought his Slim Ken in this pink hoodie and pants. 

"Well, it is a Barbie movie, why shouldn't you bring a Barbie with you?" He'd said as we were going into the theater. He's seven and having a rather hard time at the Youth Center he is going to these days. He got his front teeth knocked out. Yes, even youngsters at seven are already dealing with monster bullies yet taking it in stride and was happy to go with his little sister in her glam Mermaid Dress!

Of course, he liked Ken best and knew exactly where he was coming from. He feels as if he's already living in the land of women.

The film does give you a lot of fun in the plastic world of Barbieland. Yet, I think the producers missed the boat of those wanting a little escape. Bring in the real-world and those Barbie has forgotten. Like where does Ken live? What about Allen? And of course, Weird Barbie stole the show just like the Mattel CEO from the real world.

The music is fun and I gotta say Gosling did rock it! Sporting the I AM KENENOUGH sweatshirt was priceless. Truly, I did feel Gosling brought it more than Robbie. Although, when you think about it, Barbie really doesn't have that much character to begin with. After all, she's perfect. 

Too bad Mattel didn't bring in some of the more flawed Barbie dolls that are making their way to many. Although, I suppose there were plenty of curvy and of color in the film. Still, it was perfect in Barbieland...that is..until..oh you'll just have to go see it. But wait til you can rent it. At least 10 bucks a pop for a matinee. 

And if you're a grownup, you'll get the ending. Perhaps.

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for the review, guess I would watch for free.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I heard it was kinda dark! And wait... that's Margot Robbie in it? See how out of the loop I am! I didn't even know that. I've heard people talking about this but haven't really been playing close attention. I know there's controversy. My kids wanna see it but they're older...

    Sounds like a wild weekend at the library? Yes kids will TELL people things. My daughter was telling me how she heard someone very young sharing things with a teacher... I imagine they feel it's a safe place to do so? I guess that's a good thing... although it can be disconcerting, I imagine, when you're not expecting it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Kate McKinnon could be a fabulous Hillier!

      Delete
  3. Tengo pendiente la película. Te mando un beso.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I can't wait to see this, darkness and all! And I too have heard that it isn't for kids -- which makes it sound even better.

    I'm so sorry to hear about your little friend being bullied! Kids are so cruel. I'm glad to hear that he took it in stride. May he continue to carry his Ken proudly! 😁🎀

    ReplyDelete

Hi, I love hearing from people.