Friday, November 10, 2023

Huck & Rachel


 

Oh, it was something, getting used to Rachel's room. Of course, Huck smiled on the day he saw her yesteryears, with Care Bear posters on the wall.

"I dunno, I was expecting a few indie bands," he shrugged. How long had the room been this way?

"Oh, I had a lot of Green Day," she told him it was all her mother's doing. Evidently, she was expecting the next time Rachel came home she'd have a baby and a broken marriage.

This made Huck laugh more. "I gotta meet this woman."

"I don't want to see her anytime soon," Rachel shrugged. 

At least the bed was regular-sized. "But your feet will  hang off." Rachel still wished the bed was bigger.

But Huck didn't care. He was used to short beds. Of course, getting used to her brother might have been a different matter. He did like to talk a lot and he did want Huck to do all the yard work. 

"Well, I don't like him either," Huck gave it a week but came clean about the situation. Of course, Huck hadn't found a job yet. Yeah, he guessed he could have gotten on at the grocery store where Rachel used to work, but it just wasn't something he was into. Besides, he felt the wage was practically peanuts.

"I don't want you working there, either." He'd protested.

"Do you think you're going to be a president of some company?" She was a little bug-eyed about the matter. The sooner they could start making their way, the sooner they could get out of here. 

Gretta worked at a bakery. Her brother did something at the electric company. 

"You don't think he climbs poles, do you?" Huck winced about the matter. That would be like joining the circus. He wasn't that desperate.

Huck applied at a few places online.

"Christmas is coming, maybe we can at least get on somewhere for the holidays," he didn't mind working black Friday and he knew Christmas really wouldn't be much this year. At least, they had Rachel's room. The least they could do was keep the house up because Gretta was doing most of the cooking. 

5 comments:

  1. Ooh Rachel and Huck I hope they find something. The bloom of new romance can take a hit when the reality intrudes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a pretty big show! I've been miserable so whatever I got, it's nasty! Anyway hope you're having a good weekend. And I'm curious about your hint of a new character!

      Delete
  2. Ojala no discutan mucho cuando planifiquen las cosas para navidad. Te mando un beso.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, the return to the childhood bedroom! I always love that. And Rachel and Huck's conversation about Rachel's mom is so funny. Huck's thoughts about joining the electrical poll circus are amusing, too. I hope the two of them find those holiday jobs. 💡🎄🧸

    Your new writer's group sounds interesting. Although I'm not at all surprised that you're finding it hard to fit it in. I don't know how you do it all! Still, best of luck. I know that the muse is a mighty motivator. 📕📙📒📗📘

    ReplyDelete

Hi, I love hearing from people.